What is the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme?
International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) is a broad and balanced two-year academic programme offered in more than 140 countries and in over 3000 schools worldwide.
Every year around 1,000 students graduate in Norway alone. Most students progress to higher education in Norway or abroad.
What do you learn?
- Two languages from English/Norwegian/self-taught mother tongue
- One or two humanities from Global Politics/History
- One or two Sciences from Biology/Chemistry/Physics
- Mathematics Analysis and approaches or Mathematics Applications and interpretation
Three of these subjects are chosen at higher level for the two years (4 hours per week) and three at standard level (2 ½ hours per week) all students also study the following core elements:
- Theory of Knowledge (TOK)
- Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS)
- Extended Essay (EE)
In all subjects with the exception of Norwegian/self-taught mother tongue, the language of instruction is English. Students are assessed regularly throughout the two years with external exams at the end of their studies.
Why Choose IBDP?
The programme aims to develop students who:
- have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge
- flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically
- study at least two languages
- excel in traditional academic subjects
- explore the nature of knowledge through the programme’s unique theory of knowledge course
Pathway to University
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) is recognized and respected by the world’s leading universities, and evidence suggests that higher rates of DP students go on to university and higher education study than non-IB students.
DP students apply to more than 3,300 higher education institutions each year, in close to 90 countries. The most popular of these institutions are ranked among the top universities in the world. Research suggests that the DP is a strong pathway to university – the impact of studying the DP on admission to university and higher education depends on each student’s performance.
Our exam results are consistently higher than world average both in terms of grade average and pass rates achieved.
Elverum videregående skole is a certified centre for University applications to the United Kingdom (UCAS) as well as being a Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing Centre.
Elverum videregående skole actively supports students with university applications to the United Kingdom, USA, the Netherlands and Australia amongst others.
How to apply